We believe that radiant, healthy skin leads to a confidence that is the foundation of beauty. But with all of today’s trends and skincare options, it can be hard to know where to begin when it comes to caring for your skin. We’ve come up with some simple, foundational tips for essential skincare at every age.
For your 20s and 30s:
- Protect Your Skin: If you’re not starting with a healthy, protected base, you can throw everything else out! 90% of skin aging is caused by sun exposure. Plus, sun damage can cause life-threatening skin cancers. It’s only gotten easier to add a daily SPF to your morning routine. For us, our favorite way to add SPF is with our multi-tasking Curated by GSC Protect. Part SPF, part antioxidant serum, and part tinted moisturizer, Protect shields your skin from the sun’s harmful rays while providing sheer coverage.
- Know your skin type: A crucial step in skin care is discovering your skin type. Are you more dry, oily, acne prone, or sensitive? Knowing your skin’s needs can help you choose the right products and treatments to achieve your goals. When you reach your 30s, hormonal shifts can sometimes lead to skin type changes as well. Keeping tabs on your skin can sometimes feel like a full time job, but we’re here to help!Schedule a consultation with one of our aestheticians who can help you determine your skin type and the best products and procedures for you.
- Introduce a retinol: As you reach your late twenties and early thirties, it’s time to up your game! Introduce a retinol serum every other night to increase cell turnover, manage oil production, and prevent the fine lines that will start cropping up in your 30s. Our Curated by GSC Renew retinol is a silky serum that comes in three different strengths, so you can cater to your skin type!
For your 40s and 50s:
- Address signs of age: We’ve all had that moment when we look in the mirror and think: “Who is that?! She looks more tired than I feel! He looks too stressed to be me!” Here at GSC, we want you to look as good as you feel on the inside. We all age, but we can choose do it gracefully! As lines and creases start to appear, treating early with Botox can help slow the appearance of aging. Botox, or Dysport, is an injection that relaxes the muscles of the forehead and around the eyes. It smooths the appearance of existing wrinkles and prevents the formation of new lines.
- Exfoliate and Renew: As we reach this age, cell turnover slows, which can lead to a dull complexion. Get your glow back by employing exfoliating products! Be diligent with your retinol serums, and consider adding in a chemical peel every so often to keep your skin on track. Our Curated by GSC Brighten Pads are a great at-home option for increasing your glow. These pads are designed to be used just once a week and have a 20% glycolic to exfoliate and reveal radiant skin.
- The Eyes Have It: Yes, it’s time for an eye cream! The skin around your eyes is more delicate than that of the rest of the face. It’s important to use products specially formulated for the eyes to prevent irritation. An eye cream can target anything from fine lines to dark circles and puffiness. Our Curated by GSC Renew Eye targets all three by using vitamins A, C, and B3.
For 55+: Time to take care of you!
- Hydrate: As we age, our hormones change, and our body has a harder time retaining moisture. Even those who once had oily skin now find their skin parched. Dry skin can make fine lines and wrinkles more visible and can make complexions appear dull. Now is the time to move on from light lotions and instead add thicker creams to your routine. Look for creams and emulsions that include ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and squalene to add moisture and retain it. Try Curated by GSC Hydrate+!
- Consider Fillers: Botox is great for addressing fine lines around the eyes and moderate wrinkles in the brows. As we lose elastin in our skin due to time, age, gravity, and all those unfair things in life, we see a loss of youthful fullness in the cheeks and mouth as well. Most filler injections use hyaluronic acid, which is found naturally in the body, though in much lower numbers the older we get. Fillers can restore HA and plump lip lines, smile lines, and add fullness along the cheekbones.
- Regular skin checks: Call your dermatologist and schedule a yearly skin check! While most freckles and bumps turn out to be benign, it can be hard to tell at home. Having regular appointments on the calendar with your dermatologist can keep you accountable to get your moles checked. If you notice any new moles, or moles that are changing, irregular, or newly itchy and bleeding, give us a call to schedule an appointment.